Friday, February 8, 2008

Cheryl's Tip from Ep. 25

I sure will..First…Let me Magic Link Cheryl amimono so that she will be able to come here and see if I am saying this correctly :-)

Okay, if you cast on 30 stitches then work them for your gauge swatch.

If your 30 stitch swatch is 5 inches meaning you are getting 6 stitches to the inch and you need 5 stitches to the inch…

you know that if you go UP a needle size that your gauge swatch will be exactly one half of an inch WIDER than before. Meaning the 30 stitch swatch is now 5.5 inches meaning you are getting approx 5.5 stitches to the inch…so you need to go even bigger…

So, now you have 30 stitch swatch is now 6 inches meaning you are getting 5 stitches to the inch which is exactly what you want.

Does that make sense? Therefore, looking at the original swatch and knowing that I needed 5 stitches to the inch but the swatch was reading 6 stitches I could assume that going up 2 needles sizes would INCREASE the WIDTH of the swatch by one inch. 6 divided by 30 equals 5. There you go.

Did I just confuse you?

xoxox Marly

No comments: